Coldwater 517-279-9561

Hillsdale 517-437-7395

Three Rivers 269-273-2161

What is Children's Special Health Care Services?

Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) is a program that offers children (and some adults) with chronic, severe health problems medical treatment assistance. It also provides service coordination to meet the child and family needs. Families of all income levels are eligible to enroll in the CSHCS program.

How does my child qualify for the CSHCS program?
A medical eligible diagnosis must be established. Please call:

  • For Branch & Hillsdale County residents: 517-279-9561, ext. 0110# or 0146#
  • For St. Joseph County residents: 269-273-2161, ext. 0209# or 0210#

How can this program help pay for my child to see a specialist?
Diagnostic evaluations are available to have the child seen by a specialist. CSHCS will cover the cost of the evaluation. If the family has another primary insurance, this insurance will always be billed first. Initial visits are always covered if your child has Medicaid health insurance.

Are their resources to help pay for specialized equipment (wheel chairs, oxygen, etc.)?
Yes there are, if the child/adult is medically eligible for the CSHCS program and the item is for their covered diagnosis.

Is money available to pay for unusual equipment needs for my child or me (i.e., van-lifts, tie downs, ramp, etc.)?
Yes, if you or your child are enrolled in the CSHCS program. Certain medications ordered by the specialist are also covered when they relate to your child’s or your medical condition.

Can CSHCS help pay for lodging and transportation for me if I or my child has an out-of-town doctor’s appointment or if there is a hospital stay involved?
Yes, some families do receive this benefit.

Is help available if I need to take my child out-of-state for medical care?
Possibly. CSHCS doctors must make that decision and the child or adult must be enrolled in the CSHCS program prior to the approval with a Michigan specialist to coordinate care.

My insurance does not cover hearing aids, glasses or orthodontics. What can I do?
Hearing aids, glasses and even orthodontics may be covered, if the medical condition is approved for these items.

I cannot afford the diabetic supplies that are needed. What can I do?
CSHCS can possibly help with this need. CSHCS will need a medical report from the child’s specialist to determine eligibility.